Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The quest for a ring

Joseph and I knew that we wanted to get married early on in our relationship. We talked and wrote about it constantly. We told all of our friends what our intentions were and that an engagement would happen as soon as there was a ring.

Ah yes. The ring. The beginning of being a bride.

My mom and I went ring shopping. I tried on hundreds of rings ranging from .5 carat asscher cut to 1 carat round diamonds that would take any girl's breath away. For some reason, ever ring I put on my finger didn't feel right. It was either too much WOW or not enough. It was either to bulky or too simple.

That is when I reluctantly went to the Zales Outlet in Myrtle Beach. My mom and I were window shopping before the weather turned too cold when we decided to duck our heads into the outlet.

The first diamond I put on was perfect. A simple, round cut diamond, .75 carat set atop a bed of 10 diamonds. The ring was appropriately named "the Crown Ring". I didn't want to take it off my finger. Alas, the time came and we had to leave the store.


Source


Little to my knowing, Joseph had already bought a ring. My heart sank. I wanted to be a part of the process. I at least wanted to go look together. I figured I would get over it.

A week later, I went over to my grandmother's house and we began discussing rings. I told her how we didn't have much money to spend on a ring and that we didn't want to put it on a plastic piece of evil that we call a credit card. She looked at me and told me to follow her to her bedroom. There, she pulled out a simple, round cut solitaire that was .45 carats. It was perfect. It was beautiful. It was hers.

She looked at me and said, "I want you to have it if you want it. Your grandfather gave it to me years ago and I haven't worn it since he passed." The tears welled up and I said yes immediately.

Upon learning of this offer I called Joseph about my new-found friend, he admitted to already buying a ring but said he could return it.

So began the process of getting used to the idea of a yellow gold ring with a smaller diamond that I had expected. However, it WAS my grandmother's ring and how much more could a girl ask for? It was the beginning of a family heirloom.

Did your fiance give you a ring you weren't expecting? Did he provide you with the ring you wanted? Post your ring and story!

No comments :

Post a Comment

UA-30960586-1