Friday, January 11, 2013

38 weeks

First: Go guess Gwen's birthday, weight and length! 
Who ever has the lowest score wins. Wins what you ask? Love and maybe a beer.


Only two weeks remaining (give or take). After my maternity photography session with the wonderful Christy Gantt of Studio 9 Photography, I really haven't taken many photos of myself.
There was the obligatory beach photo session that I had with my mom, but when you are born and raised on the coast, with salt water in your veins it is a must-do.

At my 37 week appointment, my blood pressure was something stupid like 170/101, they had me lay down and it went down to a more appropriate measurement. Over the next few days, with headaches and not being able to regulate my BP on my own, I went to the hospital where they ran blood work and other tests (including hooking me up to a fetal monitor where I got to hear my little girl have the hiccups twice in the two hours I was there...it was quite funny and hard not to laugh at her).



That's when it happened. I was sentenced to full bed rest. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just get on your left side and stay there. At first it was hard, I didn't really understand what bed rest meant. I mean, I might have taken a trip to Lowe's after my appointment to get tile for our backsplash. I continued to dilly dally around the house, loading the dishwasher and what not, always checking my BP and making sure to lie down whenever it got in the scary diastolic 100 range.

But then I was reprimanded by many people including my husband and mother (and later the midwife). So now I spend my days on my side watching documentaries that I would never have watched on Netflix. Catching up on TV shows that have passed me by in the two years since I haven't had cable and I can honestly say that cable TV is overrated. With a million and one things to do, I am lucky to have my husband to cook and take care of my, my mom to drive 2 hours to take my laundry to the laundry-mat because our washing machine is on the fritz and a plethora of other people that have sent food and love my way.


How far along?  38 weeks
Total weight gain/loss? Let's see....I gained 25 pounds but then lost 6 due to being on bed rest so a total of 19 pounds!
Maternity clothes?  Kind of? I am mostly lounging around in sweatpants and Joseph's t-shirts nowadays.
Stretch marks?I am glad to say that I still have yet to get a stretch mark due to the fact that I am so tall and I am not "showing" as much. The ultrasound tech was surprised when she knew how far along I was because my tummy is "small".
Sleep?  It is what it is. I wake up 5-6 times a night to pee. Sometimes I wake up for an hour or so only to go back to bed and sleep until an ungodly hour (11 am anyone?)
Best moment last week? Definitely my mom coming up to help with all of the chores and getting Gwen's room ready. Don't know what I would do without her. Another highlight are Gwen's hiccups. They make me laugh because I can only imagine how frustrated I would be if I had them!
Movement?  She is a mover and a shaker. Joseph has gotten to see her make waves in my tummy and it really is one of the most unworldly things. 
 Food cravings? None. I just want bad food. Cheeseburgers mainly. Mmmm.
Gender? She is still a she and forever a she shall she be.
Labor signs? Zero. Just some Braxton-Hicks. When I went to my OB appointment on Tuesday they checked my cervix to see if there was any dilation or thinning....zero. But I will tell you one thing: IT HURTS! I thought it was going to be a breeze but that woman almost killed me.
Belly button in/out? Innie...at least for now. I think that it wants to stick out....but I am hoping it decides to stay in!
What I miss: Doing laundry....not! I do miss being able to do housework because everything that I usually do is put off on Joseph and he has a million and one things to do.
What I am looking forward to: Gwendolyn's arrival! I am ready to start my life with her in it.
Funny Story:  Well...it is really an inappropriate story that I will not write here because it involves my cervix check, a comment about short fingers and a member of my husband's anatomy. The nurse got a good kick out of it though. 



Eventually I will get photos of the nursery up. It will probably be after Gwen gets here but I am not one of those go get-em types.

1 comment :

  1. I know the bed rest feeling. My blood pressure was that high the day after johns due date...which led to the induction. Please stay on bed rest...i did same thing...going shopping and cleaning the bathroom on hands and knees...not following orders and then got reprimanded...lol. I guess nesting is in full swing. I can relate! She will be here before you know it. Yay!!!I cant wait for you to hold your little miracle!

    ReplyDelete

UA-30960586-1